Some days, you just want to come home from work and eat cereal out of the box. I know that feeling. Of course, every time I try to make cereal my dinner, I end up on the couch with a bag of chocolate chips around 9 p.m., suddenly realizing I’ve eaten the whole thing by myself. Woman cannot live on cereal alone, apparently.
I end up wishing I had just taken 10 minutes and made this meal instead. It uses fully cooked, gluten-free, and Paleo Aidell’s andouille sausage, sweet potatoes, and a little red pepper, all sauteed in one pan. It even feeds two if you stretch it with a salad…even if you don’t, as this is an incredibly hearty portion.
At the end of the day, this might seem beyond the limits of your remaining energy.The grating, especially, can seem that way if you don’t have a food processor. But rest assured, it’s more that worth it — and, by the time you finish cooking up that sausage and inhaling the delicious smells, you’ll be glad you decided to go the real food route rather than sticking your face in a box of gluten-free cereal. Again. Or maybe that’s just me.
- 1 link Aidell’s cajun sausage, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and grated (use a food processor if possible)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (fi desired)
- salt to taste
- Brown sausage in a pan over medium heat. Set aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add red onion and pepper, and sautee until onion is beginning to soften.
- Add sweet potatoes and raise heat to medium-high. Cook until sweet potato is browning and beginning to crisp.
- Stir in sausage, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes if desired. Once combined, remove from heat and divide onto plates. Enjoy!